Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hot Summer's Day - Skin and Hair Survival

Living in Florida, I know what dying from a heat stroke feels like. As much as I love the warmth of the Sun, there's a difference between taking in the sunny warmth and boiling in it's wrath. Of course growing up in the sunshine state - my favorite things to do all include water. Unlike states unable to be near the ocean, Florida doesn't have a ton of close lakes to go spend the fourth of July at. Instead, we take a short trip to the beaches surrounding us or walk into our backyard for a day at the pool. As fabulous as this is, it's hard to have healthy hair and skin when you're baking in the sun and dipping in a mixture of saltwater or chlorine. Here are some tips and tricks I use to make sure I stay healthy AND enjoy our eternal summer.

1) Sunscreen!
I know, sunscreen is an obvious route but it's also a route not taken by many. Skin is very sensitive and although a sunburn may not seem like such a big deal, it has life long effects. Skin damage is very real. Whether it's premature wrinkles or something as serious as skin cancer, these are all very avoidable. Sunscreen. There's no such thing as applying too frequently. Trust me, you are very capable of getting a summers glow with sunscreen on. So lather up babies! Your skin will thank you later.

2) Conditioner Overload
After you've been in the water (whether chlorine or salt) your hair is completely died out and your natural oils are off balanced (the same goes for your face). The second I get inside my bathroom after any amount of time in water, I take a quarter amount of conditioner and from the bottom of my ear down, I gently apply the conditioner to my damaged hair. I then jump in the shower and continue to wash out the conditioner. Following, I shampoo, rinse, then reapply the conditioner this time a little more than before. I don't wash this application out. Instead, I get out of the shower, towel dry my hair and leave it in. This will help your dry hair immensely. Regularly showering after that kind of exposure can actually dry your hair out and not repair at all.

3) Hydrating
If you run your hands over your skin after a day in the water, it'll feel dry and tight. This, like your hair, is because your natural oils can be thrown off kilter. It's important to wash your face and moisturize. I am quite possibly the biggest fan ever of Best Face Forward (can be found at ULTA) as a smooth, sensitive face wash. (Typically after washing my face in the shower) I apply all natural coconut oil in a thin layer all over my face. This may seem a little intimidating because it IS you rubbing oil into your skin, it scared me too! I have pretty oily skin as is, so putting more oil just came off as a stupid decision. But instead of going out and buying an expensive moisturizer, just go buy all natural aloe gel or coconut oil. It's cheaper and the best thing you can put on your face.

3 1/2) Drink lots of water for the rest of the day! Your body needs it more than you'd realize and it's the most effective way to rejuvenate your body's balance. Water does nothing but benefit you. Inside and out!




Bonus Tip

When you get home from the beach, lake or even come inside from the pool, make sure you rinse off your bathing suit. Make sure it's under running water for at least five minutes to get all the previous water out. Just hanging bathing suits up to dry is a good way to shorten the life of your bathing suit. Just like your hair and skin, it's best to keep the chemicals and salts out of the material. After the five minutes under water, ring it out and hang it up to dry. It'll save the colors and the fabric from a shorter existence. 


XO, D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.
Thanks for reading XO